[mythtv-users] tearing my hair out with audio over hdmi

tim draper veehexx at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 18:33:55 UTC 2011

i had a similar issue; speaker-test and the alsamixer text-base setup said
things should of been working fine. however i would get no sound or volume
level in the X environment. Nvidia 210 here, using HDMI.

the fix?
do you have /etc/asound.conf present?

i found mine was missing, so after a quick nano with the following inserted
into it, things worked fine!

pcm.!default {
> type plug
> slave.pcm {
> type hw
> card 0
> device 7
> }
> }

the card and device values need to be set according to your hardware and
what you used in speaker-test. im using the the 1.0.24 alsa driver release.
Weirdly, i had this working pretty flawlessly last week before reinstalling
mythbuntu. then i encountered these issues. took me ages to find this info
too, i think i just ended up trying anything 'alsa' and 'no sound' related
rather than nvidia/hdmi specific.

hope that helps
Tim