[mythtv-users] Digital Signal decoder

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Mar 9 15:07:54 UTC 2011

On 3/9/2011 09:57, quecumber256 at comcast.net wrote:

> I would like to view an incoming or recorded digital video in raw
> digital form, so I can look for specific digital flags.
>
> For example: I'm sure you have seen those stupid pop-up ads that
> usually appear on the bottom left hand side of your TV when a TV
> program resumes. I consider this unnecessary noise and would like to
> filter it out. Therefore, I would like to be able to view the program
> in raw digital form so I can see if I can spot thoses flags and filter
> them out.

No.  I don't know what you're talking about.  You could be referring to
one of two things.  If you're talking about those station logos and
other graphics from the broadcaster, those images are cooked into the
video itself, and cannot be removed without doing some very difficult
speculative reprocessing of the video.  If this is something some
special popup your cable box displays, then it is receiving special cues
from the cable company, and rendering that locally.  No third party
device would ever see that popup.

I would absolutely LOVE if the ATSC spec actually supported such
graphics independent of the primary video stream.  That way, weather
warnings and news tickers could actually be ignored, rather than
wrecking a recording you're watching six months after the fact, with
information no longer of any relevance.