[mythtv-users] MythTV backend running on NVIDIA Ka-el, 35W replaced by

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Mar 9 02:01:47 UTC 2011

On 3/8/2011 20:28, mythtv wrote:
> The primary reason I want to reduce my power footprint right now is that
> my combined BE/FE sits below my TV and the fan is noticeably loud.  My
> current HTPC case is sadly limited in system fan options and my PSU fan
> seems to ramp to 100% (loud) at 55C.

Can you just move this machine to another room?  I've got my combo fe/be
in the basement under one of my TVs, and I just cut a hole in the floor
in the corner behind the TV to snake audio, video, and USB up through.

> Intel Core 2 E6600
>
> Viewing content vs idle doesn't make any noticeable difference in power.
> I'm a little more surprised that recording 4 shows simultaneously only adds
> a few watts on top of the 85W baseline.

That E6600 should be dropping multiplier, and dropping the voltage to
match.  Unless you're using VDPAU for all your decoding and idling all
the time anyway, there should be a noticeable difference between
playback and idle.  Check /proc/cpuinfo when your system is idle, and
see what it thinks your clock speed is.  It should be something well
below the stock 2.4GHz.

> After my RAID array had a failure I replaced a 3.5" drive with a 2.5" one
> and noticed about 5W less power.  So I moved everything except my 1.5TB
> drive to 2.5" disks as time and budget allowed.

A 2.5" hard drive may use less than half the power of a 3.5", however
three 1TB 2.5" drives will consume more than one 3TB 3.5" drive.  Make
sure you have your system set up to allow idle spindown.  An idling 3.5"
hard drive will consume 4-6W each, but ones that are parked and spun
down will be well under 1W.

> I'm seriously thinking about experimenting with the PicoPSU 130W as a way to further improve my power efficiency without a large expense.

The PicoPSU itself is going to be 96-98% efficient, but you still need
to get DC in the first place.  Most external switched mode supplies are
going to be around 70% efficient, and you can get some real crummy ones
closer to 60%.  The linear rectifiers in wall warts are even worse than
that.  Unless you're looking to do something fancy, like run DC power
throughout your home, look up a computer directly to a UPS, or power it
straight off a solar cell, the only thing a PicoPSU is going to allow
you to do is move the heat and bulk of a normal ATX PSU outside the case.