[mythtv-users] mythburn

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Sun Mar 6 16:10:26 UTC 2011

On 03/06/2011 08:02 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/06/2011 08:10 AM, stuart wrote:
>> [Trying with a better subject line.]

>> Ok, here is a portion of mythburn.log file where I created a DVD from a
>> mythtv recording.  Notice how it can be inferred the last bit of the
>> transcoded recording is missing (i.e. the missing "chapter 2"):
>>

>>     ERR:  Cannot jump to chapter 2 of title 1, only 1 exist
>>     ERR:  in VTSM pgc 0, button 2
>>     ************************************************************
>>     ERROR: Failed while running dvdauthor. Result: 1
>>     ************************************************************
>>
>> Missing the last 20 minutes of a 90 minute show when I created a DVD
>> from another recording with out using chapters starts to make sense.
>> It's as if mythburn or a tool that mythburn is using does away with the
>> last bit of a recording.  Perhaps the entire last chapter!
>>
>> Has anyone else see this?  Better yet, has anyone else work out what the
>> problem is?
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8438
>
> Read all of the information there, including
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8438#comment:8 .
>
> Mike

Hey, thanks Mike for the links.  However, I'm thinking this is not
exactly the problem I am seeing.  I read the thread and downloaded the
patch.  It didn't go into my copy of mythburn.py.  Upon inspection I see
where about 90% of the patch is already part of my distribution of
mythburn.py.  Looking at the code I see where adding the comma to the
auto generated XML file had been changed in both the patch and in my
copy of mythburn.py. (This extra coma was seen as the root of the
problem in myth bug thread 8438.) I then checked the XML file generated
(dvdauthor.xml) in one of my failed attempts to create a DVD from a
mythtv recording.  Interestingly it appears to be formed correctly.
Well, that is to say, there was no "dangling coma" at the end of the vob
chapter list.  However, I know the recording is about 90 minutes.  I
know the DVD fails (as far as I am concerned) because it cuts off the
last bit of the recording.  I see chapter marks set up at roughly 7
minute intervals.  I see one at 37 minutes, 44 minutes and 52 minutes.
If the recording was 90 minutes long I should see another at about 59 or
60.  And perhaps one more after that.  Now I am thinking there really is
a missing chapter.  That is, it was not an extra comma as much as a
failure to add the last chapter to the dvdauthor.xml file.

Maybe this bit of code starting on line 735 of dvdauthor.xml:

>     chapters=[]
>
>     thumbList=[]
>     starttime=0
>     count=1
>     while count<=numofchapters:
>         chapters.append(time.strftime("%H:%M:%S",time.gmtime(starttime)))

Should read:

>     chapters=[]
>
>     thumbList=[]
>     starttime=0
>     count=0
>     while count<=numofchapters:
>         chapters.append(time.strftime("%H:%M:%S",time.gmtime(starttime)))

Note where "count" has been changed to start at zero instead of one. As
it is not being used to index anything in the code, I'm thinking this
might safely pick up the last missing chapter.

-thanks