[mythtv-users] My MythTV system is a time machine

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Mar 4 13:14:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Brian Meehan <emt244671 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a plumbing leak in my house this morning that threatened my server
> rack, so I shut down Myth and moved it upstairs. Once the problem was fixed,
> I brought it back downstairs and plugged it in. It automatically powered
> back on (BIOS settings), and I didn't have a monitor attached, so I missed
> any boot errors.
> So anyway, I connect to it from my revo frontend and noticed that the theme
> had changed. Hmmm...
> Looked at files... all the recordings were from 1/28/11 and earlier.

Sounds like your raid-1 went into degraded mode on 1/28 and then it
booted off the old drive.

> Can I recover or playback to today?

Maybe.  Try booting with only one drive.  If it doesn't help, boot
with the other one.

> dracut: Scanning for dmraid devices
> dracut: Found dmraid sets:
> dracut: nvidia_bcdjhfcj

I'm really not a fan of dmraid.  My workstation at work was configured
for a dmraid raid-1, and it worked ok until 1 drive failed.  The
machine kept running and the data was safe, but apparently there was
no way to replace the drive and rebuild the array.  If you're going to
raid, I recommend either using a hardware raid controller, or using
software raid in the Linux kernel.  Taking the "fake raid" approach
(at least on Linux) usually seems to turn out to be much more trouble
than it's worth.

Eric