[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation Needed

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Fri Mar 4 12:19:36 UTC 2011

Nicolas WILL wrote:

I had a 8400GS without fan, and willingly went for a fan version of the
220 afterwords.

The thing is, if the card doesn't have a fan, you better make sur that
the case has proper airflow.

My case is crap, and cramped, with horrible airflow. It's a Thermaltake
Mozart SX, with 2x PCI tuner cards sandwiching the video card on the
riser.

The 8400GS was getting hot and the fins where not sufficient. The heat
accumulated enough, maybe travelled through the motherboards too. The
result was that my CPU fan went in high gear, and boy, is it noisy when
it does that!

The 220 has a fan, and with an additional 80mm case fan, I get something
acceptable, but far from perfect silence.

I am now dreaming of a proper case, but I would have to build another TV
stand, as all nice cases are much higher than the one I have today.

Another alternative would be to replace the PCI tuners with external USB
models. However, I would prefer to avoid the dangling stuff...

Nico

What is "much higher"?

>From what I have found your existing case is 90 mm (+ feet?) high.

I recently bought this one which is 140 mm high.
http://www.in-win.com.tw/products_pccase_series.php?cat_id=1&series_id=42

I have not measured any temperatures other than the video card, but it looks like there is good air flow in it.
It sucks air for the CPU fan from the top though, so that may add to the hight requirement.

Jens