[mythtv-users] questions about direct connections to cable boxes

Josh Rosenberg mythtv at desh.info
Thu Mar 3 22:07:24 UTC 2011

Hi, all.  A few questions for you, if I may, about directly connection
to cable boxes.  (I just got a DCH3200 from Comcast.)

1.  I know that it's possible to change channels via the FireWire
port.  But I've heard people say that you can record from there too?
If that's true, how does it work?  Do I still need an HD-PVR?  Is
there a particular tuner type I should choose in MythTV?

2.  My box has a USB port too.  Can that do everything the FireWire
port can do?  If so, how?  I haven't been able to find documentation.

3.  I also have a "serial" port that looks like a 2.5mm or 3.5mm
headphone jack.  What can I use this for, if anything?  Can it change
channels, and if so, is there any reason to use it over FireWire or
USB?

4.  What can the ethernet port be used for in a MythTV context, if anything?

Thanks!

Josh Rosenberg