[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Mar 3 20:42:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> MythCenter uses Arial and Thorndale, both of which requires you to
> install the MS core web fonts on your system--since Arial is not a
> freely redistributable font, we can't distribute it with the theme.

Actually the MS core fonts are redistributable, with some
restrictions.  The actual license
says:

Reproduction and Distribution. You may reproduce and distribute an
unlimited number of copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT;  provided that
each copy shall be a true and complete copy, including all copyright
and trademark notices, and shall be accompanied by a copy of this
EULA.  Copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may not be distributed for
profit either on a standalone basis or included as part of your own
product.

That's why these fonts are available many places on the web, but
always (when legal) in the forms created by MS: MS Windows and MacOS
self-installing executables.

When I wrote the original installer script for Debian more than 10
years ago I did it as a downloader because people need to be able to
sell Debian CDs at a profit.  I think most of the other distributions
followed suit for similar reasons.

Eric