[mythtv-users] missing recordings

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 18:37:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> This is the #1 MythTV bug in my opinion.  Not that the recording fails
> (which might be unavoidable), but that MythTV doesn't notice, puts it
> in Watch Recordings, doesn't attempt to record future showings of that
> title, and requires the end user to clean it up.  Ditto with short
> recordings (getting 10 minutes of video on a 1-hour scheduled program
> isn't seen by MythTV as a problem).

I completely agree with this.  I have written a simple script which
checks each entry in the 'recorded' table for 0-byte files and deletes
the file and the entry from the 'recorded' and 'oldrecorded' table.
(I think I may also need to delete it from the 'recordedprogram' table
as well...)  However, I have not yet figured out how to re-trigger the
scheduler without restarting mythbackend so that the show will be
automatically re-recorded later.

But frequently, the same show/episode is also available on another
channel/tuner airing at the same time.  If MythTV could somehow detect
the failed recordings, it could immediately start recording on the
other tuner/channel with a few seconds/minutes missing from the start.