[mythtv-users] frontend, what works?

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 15:07:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM,  <jason at wkrp.com> wrote:
> My dedicated front end is a big old full tower box running MythBuntu and I'm
> just tired of it's size.  I've read a bit about the Nvida ION and it sounds
> like the way to go.  I just don't want to fall into buying the wrong thing
> and having a mess on my hands.  I'd like a recomendation on either what
> motherboard to buy or one of the barebones setup.  I'll probably use just a
> regular hard drive in it or maybe NFS boot.
>
> I use the front end solely for a front end - no encoding / other work.  No
> HD video yet but having that as an option would be ideal.  I do play various
> encoded videos on it H.264 mostly some divx (TV shows I've converted over
> the years).
>
> I just need to be pointed in the right direction with something that has had
> a good success rate.
>
> Thanks for any guidance.
>
> Jason

All of my frontends do nothing but play Comcast HD content recorded
over QAM or with my HD-PVR (h.264).

Most of my configures are as follows:

- Zotac IONITX-C-U motherboard (discontinued, any IONITX will work) -
N230 Single Core 1.6GHz Atom with ION chipset
- 1GB of RAM (some suggest 2GB (2x 1GB) of RAM which will allow 512MB
of VRAM and improve video playback, I have no problems)
- 4GB USB Flash Drive (boot OS)
- Mini-box M350 case (192 x 210 x 62mm or 7.56 x 8.27x 2.44 inches)
- XBox DVD remote

I hid the receiver in the front bezel of the case, and it receives
well through the existing holes.