[mythtv-users] I thought I'd try VDPAU

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Mar 3 14:45:37 UTC 2011

On Mar 3, 2011, at 9:28 AM, Dave Richardson wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 22:40:18 +0000, Julian Edwards
> <myth at julian-edwards.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Damn, I missed one small thing: I fully intend to replace that with
>>> something like a GT240 once I figure out if I can safely get VDPAU
>>> on my
>>> box without breaking something.
>>
>> You need to upgrade to at least 10.04 first.  It has working VDPAU
>> but the
>> drivers are old.
>>
>> If you add this PPA:
>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
>>
>> it'll upgrade your nvidia/vdpau drivers to the latest stable versions
>> and it
>> all works very well - I know, this is how I have mine set up.
>>

> Guidance to move to ubuntu 10.04 is not necessary.

Yeah, that raised an eyebrow here too. :)

(However, moving to something that is actually still supported by
the distro vendor might not be a bad idea anyway).

> You can add the
> newer nvidia drivers and vdpau libraries to older ubuntus.

s/ubuntus/linux in general/.

I can slap the latest nvidia binary bits on top of multiple ancient
Red Hat Enterprise Linux versions too. Some people still love them
a crusty old 2.4 kernel. ;)

> I'm not sure what the absolutely latest experience have been on the
> nvidia 260.x drivers, but many folks on this avoid them.

260.19.36 has been rock-solid for me on multiple systems, all running
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. (A couple of ion systems and a box w/a
GT220. Haven't tried my 9600GT or GTX 460. Yes, I like nVidia cards.)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com