[mythtv-users] WOT: Moving video around in a PC without using overlay

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Mar 3 04:31:54 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Raymond Wagner" <raymond at wagnerrp.com>

> If that's the case, you would be best off using OpenGL. Still
> technically in software, but you're using shader language and your
> graphics card to do the conversion and scaling, something it is
> explicitly designed to be good at.

We (I) may have fallen off the cart here:

I'm planning to take between 8 and 16 640x480-grabbed NTSC signals,
and scale *all of them* down to smaller pixel counts, and then position
them in various places on one (or 2) 1920x1080 HD-VGA outputs (which will
then go HDMI to a monitor).  It sounds like you're suggesting that I can
use OpenGL to hand the full-size grabs to the video card and let *it*
scale and position into its output buffer; did I read that right?

Cause that would be handy.  :-)  Would I end up with enough PCI bandwidth
to pull that off?  And where *should* I have been asking these questions,
anyway?

Cheers,
-- jra