[mythtv-users] HD-PVR issues - is there a solution?

Derek & Cindi Cass cass at casscoenterprises.com
Wed Mar 2 23:44:36 UTC 2011

I know for sure from my personal experience that the hd-pvr should be on
it's own 2.0 USB bus.  I have in the past had it sharing a bus with either a
usb keyboard or a IguanaIR transceiver, and if it shared with either one (or
both), then all kinds of issues cropped up.  I would regularly get 0 byte
files, and I would have issues even running cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg.  By
rearranging the ports that each device was using, I was able to get the
hdpvr to be on its' own bus:

[mythtv at mythbox ~]$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 1781:0938 Multiple Vendors Iguanaworks USB IR
Transceiver
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2040:4900 Hauppauge

Now that I have the hd-pvr isolated, 0 byte files became rare.  After adding
a 5 second delay to my channel change script, I haven't had a 0 byte file
since.

I only have 1 hdpvr, so I can't say if 2 hdpvrs would work on a usb 2.0 bus
if they were the only devices on that bus.  I have the D1 revision running
firmware 0x15, which I believe is the latest.

I am using a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD as well.