[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Michael Jones mythtv at michaelandholly.com
Wed Mar 2 17:15:33 UTC 2011

As the person who started this diversion.. I feel obliged to jump in again..

It's pretty obvious to me by the amount of churn here that there is
something to this issue as it is affecting more than just me. I'm noticing a
few things that are catching my attention.   What's needed are a few things:
... (and for those poised to jump all over me for tossing out ideas without
being able to back them up by contributing code... YES, I do understand that
this would take time and effort by the theme builders and/or developers..
believe me.. I DO, and if possible I'll be happy to help out in some way as
time permits)

These are purely theoretical ideas for those with an open mind to toss
around....

1)  An efficient "novice friendly" way to adjust certain characteristics in
a theme.  Not a way to fully rewrite or corrupt the theme designer's
efforts, or the integrity of the theme itself, but a way to make the theme
more useful on a purely practical level.

I'm no XML or Theme expert.. but spending a couple hours over the last week
attempting (unsuccessfully I might add) to find a way to adjust the number
of rows and columns in the Videos Gallery view demonstrates that it's not as
simple as "just open the XML file and make a couple adjustments" to do it.

Barring the creation of a graphical wysiwyg theme editor which is a
practical improbability.. How about some structure within the theme that
allows for simple/small adjustments.  This could be as simple as thorough
commenting the theme XML file(s) to show where things are and are not
adjustable or as complex as a set of commented, standardized presets in the
beginning of the XML file that could be "single point of adjustment" to
affect certain items across the theme.

2)  A way to adapt a theme for different size screens
(16:9/4:3/Big/Small/etc)

Scalable themes.  I'm guessing this would require quite a bit code
development, but how about some method of creating a scalable theme?  Some
way in both the XML and the MythTV code that would allow the theme
designer(s) to create a set of maximum/minimum constraints, then MythTV,
with some relatively simple mathematical calculations could make the
appropriate adjustments to relative position and size to display it on the
known present screen size.