[mythtv-users] HD-PVR issues - is there a solution?

Andrew LaCroix andrew.lacroix at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 2 02:39:35 UTC 2011

Hi -

>> I'm using Shaw Direct Sat.  I've also got one channel that will kill the
> >> hdpvr.  No matter what it will not record Oasis Canada, kills the hdpvr
> >> and can't locate video0.
>

> > Ok, well that puts doubt on it being all Dish networks' fault.  What type
> > of reciever does Shaw use?
>

> I'm using the Motorola DSR505 HD receiver.

I am also on Shaw (Starchoice) with a DSR 505, and I have no problems
recording Oasis HD with the HD-PVR.

I have noticed, however, that trying to record channels I am not subscribed
to generally result in my HD-PVR going bananas.  Not only do I get
"Recording not available" from the Watch Recording menu, but I have to
schedule a new recording on a known good channel before I can even "Watch
TV" again.

Either that, or reboot, enter MythTV-setup, and set "default starting
channel" in the menus to a known good channel.

It must have something to do with the DSR505 not emitting a clean composite
signal when the channel is not subscribed to.

- Andrew