[mythtv-users] 0.24+fixes - tearing, /dev/rtc permissions and getting openGL to work

David Edwards david at more.fool.me.uk
Tue Mar 1 11:38:31 UTC 2011

I recently upgraded my ION frontend from 0.23-fixes to 0.24-fixes and
had lots of fun trying to get VDPAU working nicely again, although
pretty much all my problems were due to having upgraded from Mythbuntu
9.10 to 10.10 (and Nvidia drivers from 180 to 270) at the same time. I
eventually found all the tweaks I'd done to X and the Nvidia settings
previously to get it working (all mentioned previously in this thread,
I think), and re-applied them to the new installation. Perfect
playback. Except... sometimes I got tearing again. I found one SD
recording that showed this particularly well on a horizontal panning
shot; sometimes it would play fine, other times it would tear. After
much testing, I discovered it was breaking after the frontend had been
suspended and resumed; playback was perfect after a reboot until the
next time the machine was suspended.

In the end, I found this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/656279

Disabling hyperthreading solved the issue, and I now have perfect
playback before and after suspending.

I also had to kill mythfrontend before suspending and restart it after
resuming, but that was to resolve a different issue where mythfrontend
would hang or crash upon resume...

David