[mythtv-users] Script to turn monitor fully on and active

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Tue Mar 1 03:33:07 UTC 2011

MythTV Users,

(Using Mythbuntu 10.10, MythTV .24)

I have a shell script that will turn my monitor on and off. I have set
up my system so that the script is run when I press a button on my remote.

For the most part, it works.

However, when I turn the screen on, the monitor gets "activated", but
does not actually come on until I take some other action, like move
around the menus using the arrow keys. Only after I press some other
keys do I see the MythTV interface come up.

What I mean by "activated" is that the monitor goes to completely off to
on, but the screen stays black. The difference being that when it is
off, there isn't any light emitting from the screen. When it is
"activated", the power is on, so even though the screen is black, it is
emitting a tiny amount of light.

I guess it's like the difference between turning off the monitor and
having a black screen saver.

I have completely uninstalled XScreenSaver, but this issue persists.

What I hope to have happen is when turning on the screen, when I press
the button on my remote, the screen should come on fully and I should
see the MythTV interface without having to do any more key presses.

Is this possible? Is there something I can add to my shell script to
kick my screen into life when it becomes active?

Here are the contents of my shell script:

- - -
#!/bin/bash

STATUS=`xset -q | grep "Monitor is" | awk '{print $3}'`

if [ "${STATUS}" = "On" ]
then
   xset dpms force off
else
   xset dpms force on
fi
exit 0
- - -

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

--
Dave M G