[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: ATI Remote Wonder with Fedora 15

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 18:56:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Josh Mastronarde <jmastron at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:14 AM, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>

>>> I committed the fix in upstream lirc and backported it to the 0.9.0-6.fc15
>>> package on June 6th, and the -7 build I just pulled down shows atilibusb
>>> in the lircd -H help output. What seems to be the problem, officer?
>

>> Well, in simplest terms my remote just doesn't work like it used to
>> before I upgraded to F15.  Some keys (up, down, left, right) work, but
>> most do not.  Let me do some more checking on my end.  Maybe I changed
>> something in my original troubleshooting steps and forgot to change it
>> back.  If you say the issue is resolved in the lirc package then the
>> problem is most likely on my end.
>
> John, are you using the original remote control, or a different one
> (either a remote from another device, or universal remote emulating
> another device)?  The problem I'm having with F15 and mceusb, where my
> actual remote control is using some old Philips VCR code set, is
> similar -- some keys respond (and then only sometimes), most don't.  I
> isolated Myth as not being part of the issue --  I ran irrecord, and
> it seems to think there are different timing/gap parameters than on
> F14 or F11, and times out when teaching it most buttons.
>
> I haven't dug further in yet (just decided to go with F14 for now, to
> get the main Myth installation from 0.21->0.24), but from some
> Googling, it sounds like F15 lirc has some change to the way the codes
> and tables are compiled in for only the "native" remote for the
> receiver.  But I don't fully understand the relationship between the
> lirc kernels, drivers, codes, etc; I hope to work on that once I get
> the main Myth transition done.
>
> Josh

Josh, I am using the original remote control on this particular
front-end.  On another front-end system where I use a Streamzap USB
receiver and a universal remote there was a kernel update to F14
sometime last fall that kind of broke lirc for me.  If you are using
the latest kernel on F14 then this might not be related, but if not
then it may be something for you to look into.  On my F14 system I was
actually getting double responses to key presses, rather than no
response, but I wonder if it could still be related.