[mythtv-users] "broken" as a synonym for "not as I expected." WAS: Re: mythvideo sort order

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 28 22:08:28 UTC 2011

On 06/28/2011 02:06 AM, Julius Roberts wrote:
> On 20 June 2011 23:25, Robert McNamara wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:15 AM, Phil Wild wrote:
>>> Can anyone confirm this same behavior?
>> People need to stop using the word "broken" as a synonym for "not as I expected."  ;)
> No offense intended to Robert, and i know he was joking, but this
> comment nonetheless did stick in my head for a few days as not being
> quite right.  I was doing some reading and i came upon The Cathedral
> and the Bazaar "..Any tool should be useful in the expected way..
> ..but a truly great tool lends itself to uses you never expected."**.
>
> My point in raising this is that it is all well and good to have
> developed complicated software for some fantastic task, but if it
> doesn't work the way people might usually expect it to, then that in
> my mind is it's not reasonable to blame the user for their poor
> perception of the issue.  There's complicated, and then there's just
> plain poorly executed.
>
> just my $0.02 worth..

Just to reiterate.  The behavior the OP wants exists in
unstable/development code and will be a part of 0.25.  The only reason
the OP thought that the code didn't behave as expected is because the OP
assumed that what he enabled was the behavior he was looking for.  In
other words, the user was astonished to find that the behavior he
enabled (which was not the behavior he wanted to enable) did not work
like the behavior he wanted to enable.

So, please hold out until you're using 0.25, after it's released, and
then see how things work.  At that point, enabling the sort by date
added will cause your videos to be sorted by the date they were added.
Until then, you don't have a sort by date added functionality, so it
should not cause concern that something that is not meant to sort by
date added is not sorting by date added.

Mike