[mythtv-users] debugging faulty channel

Matt Harrison iwasinnamuknow at genestate.com
Mon Jun 27 02:14:18 UTC 2011

I've got a channel on my setup which worked fine for a while, but
recently it kills my setup. Trying to tune to this channel will hang my
frontend, and without a lot of fiddling with the backend, forcing
recordings in mythweb and crying in the corner, I cannot stop the
frontend trying to re-tune to it when it comes back up and starting the
loop all over again.

I'd rather fix the problem than bitch about the symptoms though. I am no
expert with any of this and I cannot work out how to even effectively
debug the problem.

The frontend logs will constantly report they are waiting for the
buffer, while the backend seems to think the recording is finished
instantly.

I've tried running the backend with debugging on but I can't get
anything useful out of it, especially as I don't understand most of it.
Also, a retune doesn't have any effect at all. Two copies of the channel
appear with a scan (as with most channels for me) and both have the same
problem.

I'm running 0.24-fixes on mythbuntu 11.04 (although the problem was the
same with 0.23-fixes on 10.4).

I would be very grateful if someone could advise where I should look
next to work out what the problem is.

Many thanks