[mythtv-users] Feature suggestion: Allow selection of named variants for each user job.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jun 26 12:23:41 UTC 2011

On 06/26/2011 06:48 AM, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> I just added this feature request to the wiki:
>
> Allow selection of named variants for each user job. E.g., I have
> an archiving script that I run as a user job. It has six variants
> "Interlaced", "Progressive", "720p from Interlaced", "720p from
> Progressive", "SD from Interlaced" and "SD from Progressive". I'd
> like MythTv to offer the choice of which variant each time I select
> the job. MythTv doesn't need to know what they mean. It just needs
> to know the list of variant names, so that it can offer them in a
> menu. We could have just one more field in the setup of each user job.
> That could be a comma separated list of the variant names. When the
> job was run %VARIANT% could be setup by mythtv with the name of the
> chosen variant, so that the script can determine its behaviour on
> that basis.
>
> Anyone else think this might be useful, or perhaps is there some
> obvious way to achieve the same effect with existing features,
> which I've missed.
>
> If someone could start me off by pointing out the write places
> in the code base to work, I might be able to implement it myself
> - assuming it is something that would be accepted.

Raymond Wagner has completely redone the job queue code and user job
handling.  Among other things, his patch removes the restriction of
allowing only 4 user jobs maximum.  Therefore, in the new job queue
(once it's available in a released version), you'll be able to just set
up your 6 variants as 6 different jobs (maybe with the same prefix, so
they're grouped together, such as, "Transcode - Interlaced," and
"Transcode - Progressive," etc.).

Mike