[mythtv-users] Effect of auto-expire on recordings history

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Jun 26 08:20:06 UTC 2011

On 26/06/11 00:32, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/25/2011 06:57 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>> But many of my recordings are made using the
>> 'Record only this showing' rule guided by external recommendations,
>> using 'u' and/or 'e' queries from the schedule display to see if I
>> should already have it, and it's that aspect of database access that I'd
>> like to influence.
>
> So, you're saying that the fact that you no longer have a rule that
> matches the episode re-run means that the program detail available from
> the Guide shows only "MythTV Status: Not Recording," and you'd like it
> to also tell you that it was previously recorded and/or that it is
> allowed to re-record?
>
> Mike

No, I don't think that's it.  If I no longer have a rule that matches,
but the programme has been previously recorded, 'u' will tell me so, and
I will usually choose not to record again.  If it has been auto-expired,
the same.  I'd like to know that I can then no longer access a copy, so
that I can choose to re-record if I wish.

Of course, sometimes 'u' doesn't recognise that a programme is identical
with one already recorded.  I think you said before that its memory is
time-limited in some way, and anyway the EIT data match isn't always
accurate.  So I may use 'e' and 'Show previously scheduled' to make more
checks, but AFAIK those will also be invalid in the same way if the
programme has auto-expired.

My first idea was just to be able to identify and remove auto-expired
recordings from the DB, but a DB flag showing auto-expired, accessible
from these screens, would be great.  I hope I haven't overlooked it :-)

John