[mythtv-users] Tuner HW Advice?

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Fri Jun 24 13:04:17 UTC 2011

On 11-06-23 07:44 PM, Craig Huff wrote:
> I've been asked about setting up another MythTV system for a family member.
> Unlike mine, theirs will be capturing shows from OTA ATSC (North America)
> sources. To start with, they want to be able to record two shows at the same
> time, hence I'm looking at dual-tuner options.
>
> My question is whether there are other options I should consider besides the
> SiliconDust dual-tuner ethernet-attached unit (HDhomerun) and the Hauppauge
> HVR-2250 internal card.
>
> For that matter, is there any particular reason to go with one of these two over
> the other?

If you are after OTA in an environment where not all of the stations are
booming loud signalwise, then avoid the HDHR units.  They (1) have poor sensitivy
for weak stations, and (2) tend to die early deaths.

I've used several HDHR units here alongside other tuners, and the HDHR are
the worst of any of the tuners tried.

I've never used a HVR-2250, but some people I know do use them with very good
results.

Another way to get multiple tuners in a very small formfactor,
is to plug two or more HVR-950Q USB tuners into a USB2 hub.
Those are vastly superior to the HDHR tuners for OTA reception.
more or less in the same league as the HVR-2250.

Now stand-by for a barrage of complaints from cableTV users
and others who have never done proper side-by-side comparisons.

Cheers