[mythtv-users] Closed Captions: A reason to upgrade?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Sat Jun 18 18:40:12 UTC 2011

On 6/5/2011 10:04 AM, Alex Halovanic wrote:
> I doubt an upgrade will help with your closed caption issues.  I'm on
> 0.25 and was on 0.24 a month ago.  I've completed three phases of the
> WOW digital transition in my area and am noticing the following:
>
> 1) Most digital channels have some kind of information coming over
> the old EIA-608 captions, only the local HD channels consistently
> have EAI-708.  I've seen at least one example of the new digital
> channels having EAI-708 (showed up on Animal Planet for me just now)
> but this appears to be the minority.
>
> 2) All of the EAI-608 captions from digital stations are coming out
> with either gibberish or a stutter.  For example the words
> "UNPRECEDENTED DECLINE. PEOPLE ARE VERY" display as
> "UUNPNPRERECECEDEDENTNTEDED DEDECLCLININE.E. PEPEOPOPLELE A ARERE V
> VERERYY".  I haven't tried hooking the signal directly up to my TV to
> confirm that this isn't a problem in Myth.
>
> 3) There seem to be some other minor regressions to closed captioning
> in 0.24 and beyond.  For example, I used to be able to see line 21
> closed captions on my DVD rips (not the same as DVD subtitles).
> These don't show up anymore in the menus.  I think this was something
> related to automatic finding of captions, but I haven't had time to
> track this one down.
>
> -Alex

Hi Alex,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to create the ticket for this problem:
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9829
Then testing the patches from Gregorio. And Of course, I'd like to thank Gregorio for coming up with the solution.

One question for Alex, have the patches restored your ability to see CCs on your DVD rips?

FWIW, I've managed to backport Gregorio's fixes from both master and the patches associated with this ticket, to 0.23.1 (mythtv_0.23.1+fixes26863) and they've solved my problems with CCs. If anyone else is having problems with CCs on standard definition digital recordings, wants to stick with 0.23.1, and is comfortable building debian/ubuntu packages from source, I can probably put together a patch. Just let me know.

Regards,
Helen