[mythtv-users] Zotac GT430 Silent video card, Lucid, and HDMI audio

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sat Jun 18 18:25:50 UTC 2011

HI all -

I just got a new Sharp Quattron LED TV and am in the process of setting
everything up. My old set (vintage 2004 Samsung) didn't have HDMI inputs,
so I used VGA and component inputs/outputs for everything.

I also just got a new GT430 card (Zotac) for this BE/FE machine and am
trying to get audio over HDMI to work.  Video works fine, of course.  My
old GT220 card (which will be going into another frontend off-site) had
HDMI audio (apparently LPCM only) which showed up on the list of available
audio choices in Setup.  This one doesn't show up on a rescan.  Alsamixer
shows it as a choice, with four S/PDIF options (mute or unmute only).  I
enabled all of them but I still don't see the card in Setup -> Audio.

Right now, I'm using the S/PDIF out from the motherboard's hda_Intel
chipset, which mostly works but it occasionally has problems with my Sony
AV receiver - locks up in analog-only mode sometimes, requiring a reboot
of the box.  I'm hoping that going to HDMI audio through this card will
solve that.

I'm running updated (with 1.0.24 ALSA drivers (backported)) Ubuntu Lucid
with JYA's latest binaries.

I found an old thread on the XBMC forums which claimed that you need the
nVidia 260.xx driver to use HDMI audio on this card.  I'm using 256.53.
>From what I recall seeing on this mailing list, 260.xx isn't as stable as
we'd like, so I've not updated it yet.

Anyone using HDMI audio with this card, and if so, could you point me in
the right direction?

Thanks very much!
Bob