[mythtv-users] Recover from bad transcode

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 17 16:14:54 UTC 2011

On 06/14/2011 07:42 AM, Per Kofod wrote:
> I had the transcoder profiles set with default values (RTjpeg) ; which
> seemed like a bad idea,
> on SD content, the pictures looks OK; but the sound runs at twice normal
> speed.
>
> Well luckily I had configured mythtv to not delete the original after
> transcoding so I still
> mave the original with extension .mpg.old, while the transcoded has the
> extension .nuv.
>
> If I want to switch back to using the original (untranscoded version) is
> it enough to
> rename the .mpg.old to .mpg, and change the basename and filesize in the
> recorded
> table, or are there other changes needed. (and off cause delete the .nuv
> file)

Better would be to not mess with the basename in the table--it's
useless, except on broken OS's (i.e. if you're trying to play the
recording by double-clicking it through a Samba share that's mounted on
a Windows system).

So, just rename the file to filename.nuv (even though it's a ".mpg"
file).  Then, rebuild the seek table for it (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Repairing_the_Seektable ).  Then, if you
want, you can re-transcode it (using more appropriate settings), and it
will once again be an NUV.

Mike