[mythtv-users] Random missed recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 17 01:33:41 UTC 2011

On 06/16/2011 05:39 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Ok, I'm running 0.24 fixes and recently heard that there were some new
> ATSC subchannels available.
>
> I thought about just rescanning but decided that it would be better to
> delete and readd my tuners (HDHomerun) so that I could reorder the
> virtual tuners. I had set it up with:
>
> Real tuner # : Myth tuner #
> 1 : 1,2
> 2 : 3,4
>
> As remember reading on the list that it's better to stagger the
> virtual tuners, ah la:
>
> 1: 1,3
> 2: 2,4

Actually, this is worse.  You only want staggered virtual tuners at the
end when you have lots of virtual tuners per card--never if you have
only 2 virtual tuners per card.  So, you should re-do it with:

1: 1,2,5
2: 3,4,6

or

1: 1,2,3,7
2: 4,5,6,8

or just don't stagger them.  Staggering only helps if you want to use
Live TV and you want to risk losing recordings while you're using Live
TV (i.e. telling MythTV that Live TV is more important than recordings),
since MythTV may not be able to choose optimal placement of recordings
if you've already committed a tuner to a mux with Live TV.

> One thing I noticed is that it now refers to the HDHR tuners by IP
> instead of address though I'm not sure that has anything to do with my
> problem.
>
> I only scanned for channels on the first tuner since they both point
> to the same source (they're connected to the same antenna). Did I make
> a mistake there?
>
> Now I get random missed recordings across several channels and
> recording schedules... Where do I even start?

I don't know my HDHR, but this sounds like perhaps you may not have
scanned for the HDHR tuners?  If not, specifying HDHR location with IP
address is known to break concurrent recordings when the 2nd physical
tuner is involved.

Mike