[mythtv-users] EIT vs XMLTV - Formula 1 and adhoc rescheduling

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Jun 16 10:25:53 UTC 2011

On 16 Jun 2011, at 11:07, Richard Morton wrote:

> Actually, as xmltv supplies two weeks and eit supplies 1week all the programmes would be created in the db by xmltv. If there were mismatches between the times of programmes according to eit against that in the xmltv data(now in the database) the offending section of programmes/time&channel would be deleted and replaced with the eit data. In this way xmltv would be used almost always and eit would override it only where the times of programmes don't line up.
> I admit this is a little simplistic but it illustrates how we could manage two datasources without updating records and using fuzzy matches, instead using some simplistic matching and recreation of records if data doesn't match.

Unintentionally I had both EIT & XMLTV running for BBC HD ITV1 HD, I had one EIT source for BBC HD, & ITV1 HD only and another XMLTV source for all other channels including BBC HD & ITV1 HD. It was amazing how much difference there was between the EIT & XMLTV data, frequently subtly different start times, titles were often very different, descriptions totally unrecognisable. I got an awful lot of duplicate recordings before I realised what was going on.

I'm not trying to say this isn't worth doing, I missed the end of the GP due to XMLTV data too!

For the UK EIT is much more timely than XMLTV as some channels update EIT minute by minute as shows overrun or are rescheduled but XMLTV has more consistent episode numbering, better descriptions and a longer time frame.

The channels with only XMLTV data do have DVB now & next data which can be useful except with some channels it's just plain wrong, so a channel by channel setting would be needed based on experience of the data quality. This doesn't need another setting as we already have the useonairguide per channel boolean.

> I think this would work for the uk, and my use case, what about other territories and other peoples use?

Sorry same territory but for me XMLTV for initial guide population with EIT filling in and correcting times (where enabled) would be excellent.

Andre