[mythtv-users] EIT vs XMLTV - Formula 1 and adhoc rescheduling

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 22:45:04 UTC 2011

I have been using EIT since starting with Myth a few years ago now (thanks -
and congratulations - for putting up with me for so long).

I have been toying with using xmltv for the superior data that is supplied
by xmltv radio times feed in the UK, this weekend changed that. Because the
Canadian Grand Prix went on for hours longer than expected during the
transmission they rescheduled, first extending the broadcast, then moving it
from BBC1 to BBC2. MythTV worked flawlessly picking up the extensions and
then newly scheduled programme on BBC2.

XMLTV just couldnt do that with its current implementation in MythTV.

It seems to be that simple matching of xmltv id and programme based on
start/end date and time using the xmltv guide to update the other attributes
such as title, subtitle, description and whether it is a repeat or other
pertinent details. I just looked at the radiotimes feed and was surprised to
see that the url is xmltv.radiotimes.co.uk..... but the file is actually csv
format. Maybe I am looking at the wrong file?

I remember seeing mike mention there are challeneges with merging the data
but I am happy to work through the logic required if there is appetite from
the developers or other contributors as coding it to a reasonable standard
would be a serious challenge!

Thanks