[mythtv-users] OT-ish: decoding encrypted channels

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 12:51:32 UTC 2011

Tim Draper wrote:

>I moved away from SkyHD, to 'FreeSAT from sky' as the majority of
>what we watched was on non-subscription TV anyway! Come to think of
>it, im not sure we are getting 'freesat from sky', maybe just
>freesat, as i currently do not have a decoder card. I know you need
>a decoder card to get Channel5 in the UK from the 'freesat from sky'
>service as it's an FTV, not FTA.
>For those outside of the UK, 'Freesat from sky' and 'freesat' are 2
>different products.
>
>we get the satellite signal direct from the dish into a sat. card on
>the myth BE.

<pedant>
Then you are getting the FTA channels from Freesat - Freesat from Sky
uses a Sky box and has all the limitations that apply to subscription
Sky. Technically you aren't getting Freesat either, since Freesat is
a trademark that is only allowed to be used on receivers that comply
with the Freesat specification - and I doubt Myth does that, being
much better ;-)
</pedant>
--
Simon Hobson