[mythtv-users] brazos on linux/myth

Joe Hickey jfwd at phlobus.net
Fri Jun 10 18:53:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:51 AM, David Durham
<david.durham.jr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know offhand the state of AMD/Brazos support on Linux?  I'm
> looking at the following review:
>
>   http://www.anandtech.com/show/4442/zotac-zbox-brazos-goes-htpc
>
> I'm thinking within the next year or so Intel sandy bridge and AMD
> brazos HTPCs could be really good options.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has successfully used an E-350
based board as a front end.

Obviously it's got an ATI video chip, so there's no (usable) video
decoding on the GPU, but the CPU should theoretically have enough
grunt to do software decoding - seems to be way better than atom in
that regard.  I mostly watch OTA HD - 720p/1080i mpeg-2 at varying
bitrates.  It's really a question of whether the current linux ATI
drivers handle video well enough to make it usable.  I know some
effort has gone into the open source radeon driver lately, wish I had
a board to experiment with...