[mythtv-users] Defragging XFS File Systems

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 16:00:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Mark Boyum <mark at boyum.us> wrote:

> The answer to my specific problem (the errors that I got did
> disappear) of a horribly fragmented fs is to back it up, reformat, and
> restore. No way to defrag my file system when it is as full as it is.
> >
> > http://oss.sgi.com/pipermail/xfs/2011-June/050905.html
>

> So what you're telling me is that "actual 1144923, ideal 3139,
> fragmentation factor 99.73%" is bad?
>
> :)
> Cheers

Not sure if you are just poking fun at me, but the link above has five
messages in the thread and you need to follow all of them to get all of the
information I received about defragging.

But, to answer your question, I'm not sure that it is really bad (i.e. that
it is hurting performance to a noticeable degree).  One of the responses
specifically cautioned against running xfs_fsr on any partition that was
anything other than partially full and that the kernel should be expected to
take care of it.

-- Ken E.