[mythtv-users] Upgraded and now recording fails

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 23:37:29 UTC 2011

On 9 June 2011 17:18, Larry Roberts <mythtv at american-hero.com> wrote:
> I finally got around to upgrading to the latest mythtv build on Centos
> using atrpms.

<snip>

> In doing some digging I believe it may be a video4linux issue and in
> checking I see that I'm running a newer kernel then the kmdl that I have.
>
> [root at mythbe1 bin]# rpm -qa | grep video4linux
> video4linux-kmdl-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5-20100401-94.el5
> video4linux-kmdl-2.6.18-194.17.1.el5-20100401-94.el5
> [root at mythbe1 bin]# uname -a
> Linux mythbe1.american-hero.com 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue May 31
> 13:23:01 EDT 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> [root at mythbe1 bin]#
>
> I tried to upgrade to a matching kmdl version but it doesn't appear to
> be available. I have checked in atrpms-testing and didn't see it there
> either.

<snip>

> Any chance of getting these spun up, or am I missing something?  I'm
> hopeful that the above error is caused by the missing v4l drivers else
> I'll be back..

The errors do look like they are a result of your missing V4L kernel
modules. If you still have your previous kernel/V4L packages available
(perhaps in your yum cache) you could reinstall those in the meantime
to regain a functional system.

I'd suggest taking this issue to the atrpms-users mailing list
(although quickly checking reveals that this specific issue was
reported 2 days ago). The MythTV devs have nothing to do with having
3rd-party non-MythTV packages respun.

Cheers,
Nick

--