[mythtv-users] mythbuntu 11.04 lirc mceusb module - how?

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 18:06:50 UTC 2011

On 7 June 2011 03:13, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2011, at 11:46 AM, Tim Draper wrote:
>
> > maybe i am; i do have little linux knowledge, and everything i do is
> based from other users problems.
> > i agree, what i currently have seems way to complicated and i seem to
> have more problems than most!
> >
> > so how do you get lirc to use the mceusb module? In the lirc 0.8.7
> ./configure script, it has a profile for mceusb. Select it, continue through
> the configure section, make, and then make install works.
> > Lirc 0.9.0 doesnt include the mceusb module and it doesnt detect 'mceusb'
> module automatically (i presume it should do if it's now included in the
> kernel), so i cant 'repair' lirc to get it working again after the TV card
> drivers are installed.
>
> Just install your distro's lirc packages, and choose "default" as the
> driver
> type. Pick the mceusb lircd.conf. That's really about it.
>
> lirc 0.9.0 has no mceusb option because the mceusb driver is in the kernel
> now, there's no reason to build lirc_mceusb. Really, most people should
> just
> use their distro's packages, there's very little reason to compile any lirc
> bits from source yourself. However, lirc should probably have a new
> setup.sh
> target, something along the lines of "my kernel already provides a driver
> for me" to reduce confusion.

your going to have to help me more, Jarod :(
'just install your distros lirc packages and choose default' - how and
where?! mythbuntu includes lirc, and i've gone into the mythbuntu control
center and set it up for the MCE remote; but still it fails to work.
aside from that, i cant find anything todo with 'default' either.

i'm at a loss on this one; i just cant get it working!