[mythtv-users] Ceton as low as $256 with Linux support

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Jun 7 14:20:31 UTC 2011

> Very exciting!  The official price drop is $299, but some resellers are in
> the $250-$260 range.  That is a big difference from $430 shipped a few
> months ago!
> http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/05/infinitv-4-cablecard-tuner-prices-are-dropping-down-to-256-shi/
> http://www.amazon.com/Ceton-Infinitv4-Digital-Cable-Quad-tuner/dp/B003B4VLJQ/
> http://www.buy.com/prod/ceton-infinitv-4/q/loc/111/221525094.html
> http://www.cetoncorp.com/infinitv/support/linux.php

That's an incredible drop, and makes them extremely competitive with
the SD device. It's almost equal on out-of-pocket cost, and actually
has a slight advantage on cost-per-tuner. I've got my HDHR-Prime on
preorder, but this is very tempting. I still like the Prime's
network-attached design and ability to share the tuners between
multiple systems, and of course the Ceton is still up in the air as to
how soon a MythTV release will add support (still 0.25 as far as I
know, but no idea on a timeframe).

Does anyone with a Ceton know how it can be accessed in linux in
general...like in terms of what sort of utilities there are for it?
For example, with the HD Homerun (and I'm assuming the Prime will be
the same based on what I've heard), there is the really nice
hdhomerun_config utility that can be used to perform channel scans,
tune in channels, dump a program to an mpg file, etc. This sort of
stuff is really handy for debugging, and also for writing various
scripts (for example, I have a little script that emails me any time
it detects a channel lineup change on my HD Homerun). Does the Ceton
have utilities like this that are easy to work with from shell
scripts, or does it require a much more complex program that
communicates via an API library?

--
Ron Frazier