[mythtv-users] OT: Buying a new TV - Sharp Quattron or 3D?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Jun 6 15:14:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> Regarding the TV itself. If you get good HD transmission and like
> watching sports, then the 120/240 refresh rate feature will be
> worthwhile.

Is anyone broadcasting sports at more than 60Hz?  I doubt it.  The
reason to buy a 120Hz TV over a 60Hz model is that 120Hz is an integer
multiple of 24, so movies shot at that frame rate can be shown more
smoothly than on a 60Hz set.  (Look up "Inverse telecine".)  For
sports broadcasts, you shouldn't see any difference at all.

Eric