[mythtv-users] Unitymedia (Germany) and Mythtv

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Jun 6 08:55:55 UTC 2011

Zitat von Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch>:

> Hello to all (primary German) Mythtv users
>
> This is a bloody beginner's question. I have searched the web for hours
> without finding a solution. So I would really appreciate help from the
> list.
>
> I need information about some hardware usable for a Mythtv machine to
> capture the cable stream of Unitymedia/Germany. Unitymedia provides a
> settop box (TT-micro C 264) with a slot for a TV-card. Private channels
> are encrypted, even the free ones like RTL. And this is the problem.
>
> I have purchased a DVB-C card which is working under GNU/Linux but it
> can capture only the unencrypted of the channels (ARD, ZDF etc.).
>
> There is much information on the web about CI modules and CAM, but I
> have found no secure solution that promises to solve the following three
> problems:
>
> 1) Is there a card/CI/CAM working with Unitymedia cards (USB preferred),

Like Raymond already noticed, USB is probably not an option.

I began with Technotrend cards, which didn't work out to work well at
all. Since then I've switched over to Satelco EasyWatch (same chipset
as KNC1), and it works kinda well with Unitymedia. I have some issues
with CAM decryption ceasing to work after running the backend for some
time (about a day usually). I never found if this is a problem with
the CI, the CAM, Unitymedia, some driver, or any combination of those.
This is no longer a problem after I configured MythTV to shutdown the
backend when it's idle.
Beside that, this setup works reliably.

> 2) does it work under GNU/Linux, 3) is it available in German stores or
> online-shops?

Yes, the card is (or at least was, when I looked last time) available
in any German online shop that has a good DVB lineup.

> The price is of secondary importance. I just want a working solution.
>
> Can anybody give me a good hint? There must be Mythtv users with a
> Unitymedia contract. What do you do?
>
> Are there other solutions? Can I, for example, use the settop box with an
> analog capture card? I don't care much about HDTV.

That's not an option. As a side benefit, you would get the HDTV
channels for "free" with that card, because those kind of cards just
record the raw stream from DVB, and it's up to your MythTV frontend to
decode and display the HD content.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/