[mythtv-users] Unitymedia (Germany) and Mythtv

Sven Bretfeld sven.bretfeld at gmx.ch
Sun Jun 5 21:44:42 UTC 2011

Hello to all (primary German) Mythtv users

This is a bloody beginner's question. I have searched the web for hours
without finding a solution. So I would really appreciate help from the
list.

I need information about some hardware usable for a Mythtv machine to
capture the cable stream of Unitymedia/Germany. Unitymedia provides a
settop box (TT-micro C 264) with a slot for a TV-card. Private channels
are encrypted, even the free ones like RTL. And this is the problem.

I have purchased a DVB-C card which is working under GNU/Linux but it
can capture only the unencrypted of the channels (ARD, ZDF etc.).

There is much information on the web about CI modules and CAM, but I
have found no secure solution that promises to solve the following three
problems:

1) Is there a card/CI/CAM working with Unitymedia cards (USB preferred),
2) does it work under GNU/Linux, 3) is it available in German stores or
online-shops?

The price is of secondary importance. I just want a working solution.

Can anybody give me a good hint? There must be Mythtv users with a
Unitymedia contract. What do you do?

Are there other solutions? Can I, for example, use the settop box with an
analog capture card? I don't care much about HDTV.

Thank you very much for help

Sven