[mythtv-users] OT: Buying a new TV - Sharp Quattron or 3D?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:04:07 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Kingsley Turner <krt at krt.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking about getting a new TV, and have been cogitating about it
> for about 18 months.
>
> I had decided to get a Sharp "Quattron", and actually got to the point of
> looking at one in a shop last night.   However the sales dude pointed out
> that while he thought it had the "best display", it did not do the 3D
> thing.  Doing some more research, it seems that he was correct.  The
> Quattrons do not do 3D unless you look at the 60" model.  But there-in lies
> the problem.  The 60" model in Australia still has a $6000 price tag for the
> LC-60LE925X (whereas on www.sharpusa.com the LC-60LE835U is $2800).
>
> Does anyone have a Quattron?  I am hoping to get decent skin-tone colour
> reproduction.
>
> Anyway, to my point.  I can't afford $6k for a TV, nor would I pay that much
> anyway (at $2800 they might have had me).  Is 3D TV that much of a
> must-have?   To be honest I'm not really so impressed with this "new" 3D -
> watching the 3D movies is only OK for me (went to see "Tangled" with the
> kids), and only looked at 3D-TV demos in the shops.  But then again, more
> and more 3D content is coming out, and for a 10-year investment I don't want
> to be left out if everything becomes 3D.
>
> Lots of people I know have Sony Bravias, but I'm still mostly boycotting
> Sony over the rootkit audio CD thing.
>
> Any sage advice?
>

> cheers,
> -kt

3D is a sham! a sham of a mockery of a mockery of a sham! </Woody Allen voice>
Fair, it works, but there are newer 3D technologies that will be
hitting the market over the next few years, and most are either
glasses-free or will not require "active" glasses so that purchasing
extra will not cost hundreds of dollars.

So do you need 3D? If not don't worry about it, save some cash.

Don't worry about Sony TV's, they no longer make a TV above and beyond
what others make, mostly because there are only 2 or 3 LCD element
manufacturers, Sony previously purchased their LCD elements from
Samsung, I believe now they purchase them from Sharp. Make conclusions
from that as you will...

Also, if your buying "big" (ie >42") don't discount plasma as an option.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!