[mythtv-users] BBC HD mux switching to DVBS2

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 3 14:18:21 UTC 2011

On 03/06/2011, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> On 3 Jun 2011, at 14:00, Another Sillyname wrote:
>
>> On 03/06/2011, Alasdair Macdonald <wewalkforonereason at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Here's the blog item:
>>>
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/06/changes_to_bbc_hd_channels_on.html
>>>
>>> and the key technical data:
>>>
>>> Satellite: Astra 2D tp.50
>>> Frequency: 10,847MHz (vertical polarity)
>>> Modulation: DVB-S2, QPSK
>>> Symbol Rate: 23.0
>>> FEC: 8/9

>> So is this a frequency change and a DVB-S2 change?
>>
>> The thread title inferred it was just a DVB-S2 change.
>
> No frequency change, there could be some subtle center frequency change
> depending on what the muxes either side are carrying but nominally it's been
> 10847Mhz for as long as I know of.
>
>> If it's a frequency change as well please ignore my previous posting.
>
> I'm concerned that the FEC is changing too, just changing the DVBS/DVBS2
> property may not be enough, maybe changing the modulation will be enough to
> be able to select the mux for solo retuning which does work fine.
>
> Odd that they are not switching to 8PSK, they are not really "making best
> use of this scarce resource", I guess the rumours about some significantly
> sold Sky HD or Freesat HD box not working with 8PSK must be true, maybe it's
> the old Thompson Sky HD boxes that they are actively replacing right now.

Sorry my error

Looking at this page....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/sat_frequencies.shtml

you can see why I read the frequency as 10788000, not a well designed
information page IMHO, putting the frequencies first then a break,
then what they refer to.

In which case my previous command line should work if people replace
10788000 with 10847000.  I take your point re the FEC but I think
mines set to auto IIRC, I'll check tonight and see if all the changes
can be made from a command line to save people doing a rescan.