[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: ATI Remote Wonder with Fedora 15

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 21:48:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2011, at 2:23 PM, John Welch wrote:

>>> Ooops.  Too many drivers--I copy/pasted the wrong name.  I meant I
>>> actually use the atilibusb driver.  It's much nicer than lirc_atiusb
>>> because it's a userspace driver (and, in the case of atilibusb, doesn't
>>> require /any/ kernel modules for the ATI remote--since it uses libusb to
>>> access the device directly).
>>>
>>> I'm a big fan of the LIRC drivers that don't require special/LIRC-only
>>> kernel modules, and I believe I've saved many times the amount of time
>>> it took me to switch drivers just in not having to deal with special
>>> kernel modules.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>
>> OK, thanks.  Looks like I have another option to look at :)
>
> Note, however, that for reasons I don't yet understand, some of the lirc
> userspace drivers aren't getting built into the F15 lirc userspace
> packages. I thought I'd fixed it in lirc-0.9.0-5.fc15, but apparently not.
> I'll get it sorted out as soon as I can though...
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

Glad you posted this Jarod.  I was starting to get really confused.  I
decided to first try the atilibusb driver, as Mike suggested, because
it seemed like the configuration would be most similar to what I
*thought* I was doing with the lirc_atiusb driver.  I found a section
in the MythTV wiki page for the ATI Remote Wonder for Mythdora 12.23
(close enough to Fedora for me) describing the setup required for
using the atilibusb driver.  In that section it states to modify
/etc/sysconfig/lirc so that LIRC_DRIVER is set to atilibusb.  Well, I
went to make the change on my system and lo-and-behold it was already
set to this driver.  I guess I was using the atilibusb driver all
along??  I guess that explains why I can't figure out where I would
have gotten the lirc_atiusb driver / module for the past several
Fedora releases.  Looks like my problem may just be what you've stated
here; the driver is missing from the current F15 lirc package.  I'll
look forward to the updated lirc package to see if that fixes things.

Thanks again,
John