[mythtv-users] Scheduling/ extended description confusion...

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jun 2 09:38:39 UTC 2011

On 02/06/11 01:04, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 04:36 PM, Blammo wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> And just to clarify for the archives, the issue here was specifically
>>> the use of both Schedules Direct /and/ EIT on the same channel.
>>>
>>> MythTV does not support the use of multiple listings sources on a single
>>> channel.  Therefore, users must choose only one of Schedules Direct,
>>> XMLTV, or EIT for each channel.
>> If that's an official statement going forward,
>
> forward and backward, fwiw
>
>>    that's unfortunate.
>> Prior to present version, I've used SD + EIT for literally years, with
>> ZERO issues. Having EIT present to make last minute changes (national
>> events, president speech, etc) to make sure I get the right program at
>> the right time, has been welcome, and useful.
>>
>> Honestly, this sounds like something in the matching algorithm is
>> messed up. I don't have EIT debugging running, but I would hope that
>> merging EIT data into existing data should meet some fairly strict
>> criteria. It's ODD it would only change the program description, and
>> not time or program title.
>
> We don't have a "matching algorithm," and we have never supported the
> mixing of multiple listings sources.  That you never saw problems before
> (including problems with duplicate matching) is a wonder.
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1770
>
> among others...

Nevertheless, and while I totally agree with Mike, the OP does raise a
worthwhile point: How is it possible for EIT (which I assume is the culprit) to
update a program entry with the description for a totally different entry? I
can't imagine this is some kind of race condition between the two updaters, so,
is there a bug here in the EIT code?

--

Mike Perkins