[mythtv-users] Strange Ceton issues.

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sun Jul 31 22:38:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Erik Jensen <eriksjunk at laurelwoodart.com>wrote:

> card stayed at least 10°C cooler (between 48°C and 51°C), even when in
> use.
>
> I tried putting it back in my backend machine, and had the same
> problem again, with the card heating up to 58°C before the computer
> had even finished booting and reaching over 60°C shortly thereafter.

Seems odd that it would heat up so quickly, regardless of how poor the
ventilation might be. Is there any chance this system could in any way be
overclocked? It's been years since I was into that sort of thing, but I
remember back in the Pentium 2 era or so, when you overclocked the processor
it would overclock the PCI bus too, and a lot of hardware was extremely
sensitive to that sort of thing. I have no idea how overclocking works these
days and whether doing so would overclock or overvolt the PCIe bus, but it
seems like one really likely way the card could heat up so quickly.

As doug pointed out, the onboard network card could be the issue, even
though you say its not functional. Do you know what brand/model/revision
motherboard you have, and perhaps what components are on it?

Also, I wouldn't hesitate to contact Ceton about this. They've got to have
some clue about the cause of this sort of thing.

--
Ron Frazier