[mythtv-users] clearqam channel scanning in master?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 17:00:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 16:22, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On a side note, is anyone successfully using Scte65scan?

I run it every evening to look for changes, although I do not
have it automatically update (i run updates manually).

>  Is this something Comcast are still making available?

Yes, and they will have to for quite some time since the
(limited functionality) DTAs that they provided need a
channel map (at least in the areas where they used DTAs).

Note that Comcast only sends the SD channel map,
since the (current) DTAs can only do SD.  I understand
that Broadcom now has a HD DTA chipset designed as
a cheap HD STB replacement, and if Comcast rolls
that out (an if, since I have not heard they are doing
so, although they did request a waiver to the separable
security module requirement to allow them to do so,
and I would presume they would not request a waiver
unless they planned to do so (or were going to use it
as a bargaining chip against the SA/Moto STB prices)),
I presume that they may start sending a HD map
(perhaps on another vctid).

> Are any other providers making it available?

I do not recall any other (major) provider rolling out
DTAs.  There is no reason (from the cableco perspective)
to send the info in band unless they are using DTAs
(full STBs get the info out of band).

Gary