[mythtv-users] Backend setup for win-hvr-950Q

Barry Fawthrop barry at trumpetsoftruth.com
Sat Jul 30 12:31:55 UTC 2011

On 07/30/2011 12:51 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 7/29/2011 23:33, Barry Fawthrop wrote:
>> tvtime works right out of the box (so to speak)
> TVTime only works with analog framegrabbers.  Your card is an analog
> framegrabber and digital tuner in one.  While MythTV can handle V4L
> framegrabbers, as far as most of us around here are concerned, they are
> to be avoided at all costs.
>
> Framegrabbers do just what it sounds like.  They capture raw frames, and
> store them temporarily in a location in memory.  TVTime then takes that
> frame, and copies it into your display buffer, and that's it.  It leaves
> audio passthrough up to the user.  That is what framegrabbers were
> designed to do, and in that scenario, they are cheap, effective, and
> work well.
>
> Now we come to MythTV, and being a DVR, MythTV records everything.
> Instead of simply shifting some memory around, MythTV has to capture all
> that data, store it in some longer term buffer, encode it in real time
> to some compressed format, grab the audio either out of the tuner or
> through a separate sound card, encode it, and multiplex the two together
> while maintaining A/V sync.  There are a ton of pitfalls in this
> process, and are a never ending source of trouble to both the users and
> the developers.
>
> What I have been directing you to configure is the digital side of that
> tuner, and if you just use that side and ignore the analog 'support'
> entirely, it will work great.  Cable providers will rebroadcast the
> local stations unencrypted in a manner that card can record.  They may
> offer more unencrypted, but that varies from region to region.  Silicon
> Dust offers a database of expected clear QAM channel lineups,
> search-able by zip code.
>
> http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/
>
> If you want to record analog cable, you should use a hardware encoder.
> A hardware encoder does all that messy stuff described above in
> hardware, and offers MythTV a nice clean MPEG2 stream.  They are a bit
> more expensive, but what you pay in cost, you more than recover in ease
> of use.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Analog_Hardware_Encoder_Cards
Thanks for all the information  and yes the analog - digital does make
sense.
I must say that they explanation was very clear.
Using the silicondust link  I see that it has 64 channels for my zip
code as follows:

Type
	Channel
	Virtual 	Name 	Resolution 	Aspect

qam256 	111-2003 	   2
	WCLF 	704x480i
704x480p
	   4:3

<http://img.lineupui.silicondust.com/snapshots/69/snapshot_29686369.jpg>
qam256 	111-2002 	   3 	WEDU 	528x480p
	   4:3

<http://img.lineupui.silicondust.com/snapshots/15/snapshot_30329015.jpg>
qam256 	111-2004 	   4 	WTOG 	528x480i
528x480p
	   4:3

<http://img.lineupui.silicondust.com/snapshots/72/snapshot_30028172.jpg>

So what do I need to change to move forward ?

Thank again