[mythtv-users] Big Myth system (2-3 satellite receivers + capture devices, 5 tvs, Samsung DLNA) ?

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 09:17:36 UTC 2011

>> As to scheduling, browsing etc. I find the mythfrontend very clunky
>> (more an issue of the remote and TV limitations than any UI failure)
>> and use mythweb almost exclusively for recordings management, it works
>> very nicely on a tablet and also you can browse what to watch next,
>> schedule shows mentioned during programming without interrupting the
>> current playback.
>
> That has me drooling.   Our house is a bit large and the audio system is
> going to be controlled via tablets. As is some of the lighting system.
>
> Using a tablet to control Myth is no big deal for us.

I suggest you have a look at Linuxmce as well. It uses MythTV for the
DVR functionality and has full home automation built in including the
concept of "scenes" where if you start video playback it will close
the curtains and dim the lights automatically...

It also has some cool features like having tv playback move around the
home as you walk around it, so what you were watching is always on
your closest tv and audio system.

It uses a version of Myth which is a little old (not sure exactly
which version as I havent followed it for a while).

I tried to configure it and bought my hardware/system with LinuxMCE in
mind (but in the end  I was never going to use more than the myth
components so I was going to use LinuxMCE for just MythTV and I
decided that it was better to use MythTV instead of LinuxMCE).

I still hanker over different UI and interface styles for MythTV;
LinuxMCE the UI is completely different to MythTV LinuxMCE can be
motion controlled with a gyromouse.

LinuxMCE control interface was a good concept with the technology of
the time but tablets and smartphones have become commonplace and
another shift in UI design has been coming for sometime (the OSD and
interface on the tablet and when you play some media being able to
determine its platback location - on the tablet or on a frontend). It
all depends on willingness and the belief that tablets are here to
stay and going to be pervasive within the userbase of MythTV.

(to clarify; what I am talking about is mythtv showing NOTHING on
screen except for playback; no onscreen interface, no menus, no osd,
all that would be shown on the tablet. The playback screen would be
used for just playback of videos, recordings, pictures and music
visualisations (which would of course need to be able to be disabled
if you just want music and no visual distractions) - linuxmce gets
close to this with their tablet interface. In fact; I am tempted to
give linuxmce another try.

Sorry, this went off topic but the upshot is - check out linuxmce; it
maybe of interest to you.

www.linuxmce.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FudYQ5NLb78