[mythtv-users] LiveTV not working on remote FE but on combined FE/BE?

Lee Parmeter lee at linxos.com
Fri Jul 29 23:21:46 UTC 2011

On 07/29/2011 02:28 PM, Andreas Witte wrote:
>> ok, at home now and found it.
>> run mythtv-setup, go to 1. General
>> the first option is
>> Local Backend> IP Address:
>> if you have 127.0.0.1 then the backend will only be accessible
>> locally, so you want to put in the actual IP of the machine (generally
>> if you have a router this will be 192.168.xxx.xxx).  A little further
>> below you will also see
>> Master Backend > IP Address:
>> which should be set to the IP of the master backend, which in your
>> case will be the same IP. if you were to add a slave backend then the
>> first one would be that local machine and this second one would be
>> your current, master, backend.
>>
>> It would not hurt to make sure the master backend always gets the same
>> IP. Some routers can supply a fixed IP for a specific network card MAC
>> address, but if yours can't there are other ways to do that on the
>> machine itself (search the internet there's lots of info on this).
>>
>> hope this solves it!
>> --
>> Steve
>
> Sadly not. Any of it was the issues for the not working livetv.
> IP Adress is from my local network and stays the same everytime.
> The thing is i can watch all recordings. The only thing that
> isnt working is just livetv. I switch to livetv in the menu and
> i can see the osd for a really short time. Than it fall back to
> the menu with prefbuffer failes (or something like that) requester.
> And the local IP Adress is the same like for Master Backend IP.
>
> The IPs of both the remote fe and the master backend stay the same
> everytime, cause i dont use dhcp here.
>
> I really wonder, whats going wrong here. It worked before i deceide
> to checkout a peek into the work of the current master.
>
> I really have no clue, how to solve it and i wonder if im really the
> only one with that problem.
>
> Regards and thanks again,
> Andreas

I had a similar problem with LiveTV failure on the frontend.

Problem started when I upgraded my backend to Fedora 15 and the frontend to
Ubuntu 11.04.

I found that LiveTV on frontend failed with Fedora 14. Fedora 15, and
Ubuntu 11.4. It will also fail with Ubuntu 10.10 if you use the Mythbuntu
repo's which contain newer builds.

The only Distro/MythTV package pair that worked for me was Ubuntu 10.10
with standard myth frontend package. So, I put a lock on the MythTV
frontend package in Ubuntu 10.10 so it would not be updated till the
problem was confirmed and fixed in the future.

This drove me crazy for almost 2 weeks!

At the time no one was reporting a similar problem.

>From my perspective, something appears to have changed in recent myth
builds that broke LiveTV. However, I do not a clue what!

--
Lee Parmeter