[mythtv-users] Big Myth system (2-3 satellite receivers + capture devices, 5 tvs, Samsung DLNA) ?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Jul 29 15:59:01 UTC 2011

On 29 Jul 2011, at 15:48, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:56 AM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>> As to scheduling, browsing etc. I find the mythfrontend very clunky (more an issue of the remote and TV limitations than any UI failure) and use mythweb almost exclusively for recordings management, it works very nicely on a tablet and also you can browse what to watch next, schedule shows mentioned during programming without interrupting the current playback.
>
> That's funny, because I couldn't disagree more.

So it seems, I guess we paid for the full course of arguments ;-)

http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm

>  Mythweb is very
> resource intensive and seems to take forever to load a page or do much
> of anything.

True, would be good if it were faster, however I find it's worth the wait. I have found it to be much much swifter since I recycled my old small laptop SSD as a myth backend system & DB disk. :-) Chrome makes it about five times faster than any other browser I found too.

I find the TV UI has so little on screen at one time I can't see what's on more than an hour or two ahead without significant paging, all the commercial PVRs suffer from this too, myth is probably the best around but IMHO best of a horrible experience. I find a scrollable searchable web page far more useful, the TV UI is far more suited to watching near live TV or working a few days ahead at most. I have so many record rules and search terms built up over the years that I don't have to dig into the TV guide more than once or twice a month.

Maybe I'm just more used to mythweb but I find it just the right thing for the job and the odd times I stray further into the mythfrontend than Watch Recordings I find it very unhelpful and confusing, especially the searching and scheduling.

Each to their own, the great thing is both are available and usable interchangeably.

>  It's far easier and more reliable to do this stuff from
> the frontend interface.  And I can't imagine not caring about the loss
> of access to the commercial skip function.

As posted by David it's no loss when it doesn't work usefully here anyway, the PS3 has a quite neat thumbnail browser that's great for finding the end of the ads, not that we have so many or so intrusive ads here.

Andre