[mythtv-users] I got my Ceton InfiniTV 4 working in 0.24-fixes (compiled with custom code)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:06:19 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>> Indeed LIRC is the very next thing it complains about.  So those error messages were related to the LIRC and not the stream. Okay, solved those error messages with that mplayer preference trick, thanks for that.  But the net result is still the same: nothing.  mplayer just hangs there when trying to start.  I know mplayer works fine for me for other things.  I just tested and it is working fine for stuff I ripped.  So I may still not be getting the stream from the card correctly.  Will require more debugging, then.  Thanks for confirming you are using the same command and of course thanks for helping me realize that the errors I was seeing aren't related to the Ceton stream.
>
> OK, here is what you need to do to tune it using QAM. First, you need
> to know a channel that is available in QAM mode, and you need to know
> it's frequency. The frequency should be 6 digits. If you have 9
> digits, remove 3 zeros. If you've only got 3 digits, add 3 zeros on
> the right. You'll also need to know the modulation. I've personally
> never seen anything other than QAM 256. I'm not even sure what the
> other choices would be for. Once you have this info entered, hit the
> Tune button.
>
> The page should reload and the select box labeled Program: should pop
> up with a list of channels available on the tuned multiplex. If you
> don't get anything, then either you entered an invalid frequency, you
> forgot to hook up the coax cable, or something else is wrong somewhere
> (bad cable line or bad card).
>
> Once you get a list of programs, select one and click the Set Program
> button. The page will again refresh, and you should see the frequency,
> modulation, and program all filled in. Carrier lock and Digital lock
> should both be 1 (I don't recall for sure, but I think one or both of
> them should have turned to 1 after the Tune step)
>
> Once you've got it tuned and a program selected, and you see the lock
> status, go back to the Status tab for the tuner. Look at the very
> bottom at the Copy Protection: section. I believe it will say "None",
> but I don't recall correctly (when you have a cablecard, it always
> seems to say "Copy Control Information: "Copy Free" (00)", even if
> it's an unencrypted QAM channel)
>
> If that checks out, you should just be able to cat the /dev entry and
> pipe it into mplayer. However, note that the /dev entries are numbered
> starting with zero, so tuner 1 is /dev/ceton/ctn91xx_mpeg0_0, and NOT
> /dev/ceton/ctn91xx_mpeg0_1. That mistake will get you no data and
> mplayer will sit there waiting :)

I'm in the same boat, tried 3 Comcast offices near me in Boston, all
said they won't get any in until August 1st at the earliest. My Ceton
card is supposed to be delivered today, so I'll probably install it
alongside my two existing ClearQAM tuners. I assume I can just copy
the channel tables from the ClearQAM tuners for the Ceton and drop 3
of the zero's off?

I guess it's time to compile in Ron's patches...!!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!