[mythtv-users] Big Myth system (2-3 satellite receivers + capture devices, 5 tvs, Samsung DLNA) ?

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Jul 28 14:13:45 UTC 2011

On 28 Jul 2011, at 14:47, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Will the Samsungs display the H.264 signal or will it need to be
> transcoded ?

The last couple of generations definitely do.

> Attached to each TV you would connect another PC with mythfrontend running on it.  I expect your DLNA experience will be subpar

That depends on your priorities, DLNA can give much better picture quality than any Myth frontend, direct access to the TV's integrated decoder has benefits, usability can be pretty awful though.

There is currently an issue with Samsung TVs if you are in Europe, they play all streamed and DLNA content at 60hz, regardless of the frame rate of the media! If you are in the USA or other 30/60fps country then this isn't a problem, of course 24fps will play at 60hz too so that may be a consideration.

I'm working on Samsung to fix this though a work project but so far they don't acknowledge that it's a problem!

Andre